Whether you are thinking about purchasing your very first home or you are ready to sell and buy a new one, good advice and helpful tips are things you can always use. There are many decisions to make, some of which can even rob you of sleep, forcing you to stay up all night playing through different scenarios in your mind. When you are ready to get serious about buying your new home these secrets can be put to good use.
1. Take Advantage of the Internet – There is plenty of information available online. With the click of the mouse you can access available listings from many sites. You can also use a mortgage calculator to determine what you can afford while also being able to compare lenders and real estate agents.
2. Get Familiar with Your Credit – If you are going to be securing a mortgage, you should know exactly what is on your credit report. Don’t wait until you are ready to apply for a mortgage to find out. Pull your credit report now, so you have time to have mistakes fixed while you are still in the shopping process.
3. Hire an Agent – Since you are about to make one of the biggest financial decisions of your life, you want a real estate agent who makes you feel comfortable. You should never feel like you are a burden, nor should you feel pressured into any decision.
4. Get Pre-approved – When you are confident that everything on your credit is correct, get pre-approved. This way, you will know exactly what you are approved, providing peace-of-mind in knowing you can close on your dream home when you find it.
5. Stop Trying to Time the Market – If you are trying to wait for the perfect time to buy a home, you may be waiting a very long time. The market can change by the day, so today could look bad but tomorrow may seem perfect.
6. Stalk the Neighborhood – If you end up hating the neighborhood, you may regret your buying decision. Being happy with the neighborhood is just as important as loving the features of the home.
7. Don’t Focus on Features – If a bay window, crown molding or soaking tub are at the top of your list maybe they shouldn’t be. You could pass up a perfect new home to which these features can be easily added.